Can I Be Fired Without Cause In Florida?
The short answer is, yes. There is no law against wrongful discharge in Florida. Some states have laws against it, but Florida is not one of them.
Florida is an “at-will” state — this means employers have free rein to hire, fire, demote and promote people for any reason, at any time. If you feel you were mistreated in the workplace, you may have a case if you meet one of these conditions:
You were targeted for sexual harassment. If someone at work persistently touched or teased or spoke improperly to you, and you complained, and were fired, then you have a case.
You were discriminated against. It’s not easy to prove, but if you can show you were terminated or demoted because you are a member of a protected group, then you may have a case.
You know the protected classes: race, religion, ethnic background, age, pregnant women, etc.
You are also protected if you engaged in a protected activity: for example, if you complained to management or human resources about discrimination, if you filed recently for workers’ compensation benefits, if you took advantage of family or medical leave, if you filed a complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or blew the whistle on illegal activities that you observed.
If you are unsure whether you have been the victim of unlawful discrimination or retaliation in the workplace, contact our team at Gallup Auerbach at 888-545-2325 .
Providing Sound Employment Law Representation throughout South Florida.
Are you an Employee?
- Employee FAQs
- Age Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination
- Long And Short-Term Disability Insurance Claims
- Family And Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Gender/Sex Discrimination
- Non-Compete Agreements For Employees
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Race Discrimination
- Severance Agreements For Employees
- Sexual Harassment
- Whistleblowers & Retaliation
- Can an employer retaliate when an employee complains about harassment or discrimination in Florida?
- Can I be fired without cause in Florida?
- Can I sue a company for wrongful termination In Florida?
- Can I sue an employer for unpaid wages in Florida?
- Can I sue for job discrimination in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer for an unemployment hearing in Florida?
- Is a non-compete agreement enforceable in Florida?
- Is a whistleblower protected under Florida law?
- Is an employer required to provide severance pay in Florida and can I negotiate a better separation agreement?
- May an employer or supervisor play favorites among employees?
- What is sexual harassment at work under Florida law?
- Workers’ Compensation Retaliation